Family is Forever

Family is Forever

Sunday, November 19, 2006

Things You Shouldn't Skimp On

Ok, I've been dying to write about this. Some of you may think I'm getting a bit too personal or have totally gone over the edge but I just gotta do it. Growing up, my Grandma Tucker told me there were two things you should never skimp on. Now, for those of you who didn't have the pleasure of meeting my Grama T. you really missed out. She was a hardworking woman who gave her all. Despite her lack of book knowledge, she had the most wisdom of anybody I have ever met. (She also made me feel like I was the most beautiful, wonderfully made creature on this planet!) Sorry, I digressed... Anyway, she always told me, "Janie, there are two things you should never be cheap with. One is shoes and two is a good bra."

I've valued her words and kept them close to me for many years. There was a time, I have to admit that during college I bought cheap shoes just because they were cute. After nine years of teaching and gaining 50-60 pounds, I don't do cheap shoes ANYMORE!!!

As for bras, isn't that the truth? She'd say to me, "Janie, when your forty, you don't want your breasteses (yes, she said 'breasteses') to hang down to your belly button." Now, I've worn bras for the past 20 years. I've ventured from training all the way to a 44 C. Now we're getting personal! I've tried underwire, padded shoulder straps, lunch lady bras but I just can't find a bra that I really like! Once when I was in college, (remember the fen-fen days?), I wore a 36C and could wear Victoria Secret bras. Those were great but unfortunately, they don't make bras for the larger woman. So, if anybody can recommend a cute bra that actually holds my boobies up without using steel and straps that slide, let me know.

As I've aged with wisdom, I've decided to add to Grama's list. Two other things you don't skimp on are underwear and feminine products. I can't tell you the last time I've found a good pair of underwear. Who in their right mind can stand thongs? Who wants yarn going up their crack? then theres 'grannie panties.' They're great if you want the world to know what size and color drawers you have on everytime you bend over! I used to be a fan of Victoria Secrets' drawers but for some reason these days I notice they sag in the butt. You know what I mean. It looks like you took a dump and left it there. I bought these cute underwear from Hanes but after one wear the damn things end up under my butt cheeks instead of over them! (sorry, I know that's graphic.)

Another issue I've been dying to write about is femine protection products. Don't ever buy generics. Trust me, I've tried. You may as well use a corn cob for a tampon or cardboard for a pad.

So, if you've learned anything from this entry it should be this: don't skimp on shoes, bras, underwears or feminine protection products. Trust me on this! If I've offended anybody, I'm sorry but I've been dying to get this off my chest.

2 comments:

Alyssa said...

Ah hahahahahhahaha

You are such a nut!

I have decided that t-shirt panties suck because I feel like they are going in the opposite direction than my pants. I only buy the satiny ones now. They keep me sane.

I think I bought BoBO brand maxipads once, and it was not a good week for me. Felt like a non-absorbant pillow. You get the picture. ewwww.

When you find the perfect bra, please let me know where you got it. I like underwires. I feel like I am hanging if I have a wireless bra (ha ha ha). One night, when I was at work, I was talking to the charge nurse about an EKG strip, and she kept looking at me funny. I finally said "what's the deal?? do I have a booger or something??" She pointed at my neck and said "what the heck is THAT??" When I looked down, the ENTIRE underwire from my left boob was sitting neatly under my chin. Oh how nice. I crammed that sucker right back in and we had a good giggle. Dontcha just love underwire??

Thanks for the giggle Janie. :D

Anonymous said...

You make me laugh. I can picture us having this entire converstation. As for the thong thing I am still very much a fan, just not for sleeping that is. You need to try the "pink" line :-) Love you!!! Pam