Family is Forever

Family is Forever

Thursday, September 06, 2007

Should Haves and Would Haves

I was thinking the other day about life and just how things have turned out for me. I was thinking about all those wasted years spent feeling resentment for things not happening the way I thought they should have happened. I was thinking about my anxiety and the wasted nights nto sleeping but rather spent feeling guilty or worried about things I had no control over. After all that 'thinkin' I decided to make a list of 'Should Haves' and turn them into positives.

See from the time I was about 10 years old, I had my life planned out. So, these 'Should Haves' are things I thought I should have had by a certain age but am finally OK with the fact that it didn't happen.

*I should have moved away for college but if I had I would have missed out on family experiences.
*I should have married my high school sweetheart right after college but if I had I would have probably been divorced within 2 years. (All my close friends know this story all too well!)
*I should have had my first baby by age 25, my second one by 28 and my 3rd one would have been due any day now but if I had I would have been unable to enjoy the birth of my 2 nephews and niece. I wouldn't have been able to take them on trips or spend lots of money on crazy gadgets they talk me into. Thomas hasn't started that yet, but he will!
*I should have bought my first house by age 24 but if I had I wouldn't have been able to teach in China or Mexico nevermind packing up and moving to West Palm Beach for 10 months.

I guess thats about it right now. I'm sure there's more but I need to unload the boxes from my car. If all goes well I'll be moving into my new house next Tuesday!

Love, J

1 comment:

Patyrish said...

Janie this is awesome that you are teaching yourself to think this way. I have been working on positive thinking for a LOOONG time. I try to see the flip side to everything now and while sometimes it's hard it almost ALWAYS makes me feel better. I realize that EVERYTHING happens for a reason and my life is the way that GOD MEANT FOR IT TO BE. The same goes for you too honey.

LOVE YOU MEAN IT!