Family is Forever

Family is Forever

Monday, March 05, 2007

Just a few pics!

Just thinkin' about how safe I am in my daddy's arms. (3 days old)
Sleepy Bear, after one whole day at home.

My tiny hand on my Aunt J's chest.

My sweet feet, 2 days old at the EJMRC Hospital.
A kiss from my Aunt J while I snooze!

Ooh, what a big yawn!
Hi Friends! Whew! What an exhausting yet beautiful weekend. After stopping in Spanish Forte, Alabama (I think that's what it's called), to wait on a tornado to pass through, I finally made it New Orleans to meet my beautiful nephew. Let me just tell you, after this trip, I definitely believe in divine intervention. I realized that in my rush to get out the door Thursday morning I forgot to pack an overnight bag and a jacket. (My sister asked me to stay the night with her at the hospital. I knew it would be freezing in there and all I had brought was my big suitcase. I was NOT about to haul that thing around the hospital. So, as I was driving along the interstate I noticed an exit for an Old Navy. As I'm looking around the ON I hear this loud thunder and then what I thought was the skying falling. So, I figure I'd better wait for the showers to pass before getting back on the interstate. Finally they stop. As I'm walking to my car, the cashier from the World Market sticks her head out the door and using the deepest southern accent you could ever use, says, " Ma'am, you'd better get to shelter fast. A tornado just hit the Fort and its headed our way." So, I calmly asked her where to go, as I don't frequent Alabama and had no idea where the hell I was at. She suggested I go across the street to the Holiday Inn or a Wal-Mart a few miles down the road, then says I have like 2 minutes to get there! I don't know about you, but it takes me two minutes just to park and walk to the front doors of a Wal-Mart. As for the hotel, from where I was standing, it looked like it was on the other side of the interstate so I didn't want to go there. That's when I saw a Cracker Barrell. So, I stopped there and asked the 5 or so employees, who might I add, were standing outside with there hands in their pockets looking dumbfounded, if I could come in. They said sure and if the tornado hit I could go into the freezer as was the protocol for tornados! After about an hour, I was told it was safe to leave. So, I get back on the interstate and you'll never guess what I drove through??? Yep, the area where the fort was. Had I not gotten off to shop, I might have ended up on The Wizard of Oz!
I arrived at the hospital around 8:30 Thursday night Central time. As expected I cried when I saw my nephew. It was a happy cry though. Thomas is a symbol of hope for our family. He is such a delight! He only cries when he is hungry or needs a diaper change. He is such a cuddle bear. I left around 2pm Sunday. I think it was the hardest thing I've ever done.
After this experience, I've decided my sister Molly, is my new hero. My brother-in-law Eric, in my book, is pretty cool too. Come to find out, Molly was in labor without pain meds for 12 hours before they did an emergency C-section! After the C-section, she was in miserable pain despite meds. She had to have help with everything... EVERYTHING. I talked to her today and she sounds like she's feeling much better. Poor Eric is working is butt off, living on sleep deprivation. I'm really grateful for this little gift they gave us (Thomas), but if I've learned anything from this experience, its that I will NOT be birthin' no babies!
Finally, most of you know what I think about New Orleans, Louisiana, so I won't go into details. Let's just say to me its the dirtiest, rudest place, next to Paris of course, that I've been to. Everything changed on this particular visit, I heard birds chirping and the sun shined. (I know I'm cheezy.)


















2 comments:

Alyssa said...

Congratulations Aunt Janie!! He is just gorgeous!! I am so glad he arrived safe and healthy and Your sis is doing well. I totally know how much the whole c-section thing sucks. Been there, done that TWICE.

So happy for you guys!!

Amy M said...

Congrats Aunt Janie! Your nephew is precious!

I always new there was a great reason to shop.... I am sure it's saved my life hundreds of time... i just didn't know it. Seriously, I am glad you are ok.

Amy