Family is Forever

Family is Forever

Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Humble Pie and Crow

My good friend Pat uses the saying, "I guess I'll eat crow for that one." I'm not sure if that's the exact way she says it but the reason she uses it is when she's made a mistake and has to admit it.

So today, I'll be using Pat's saying, "I guess I'll eat crow for that one." My brother-in-law is doing some repair work on my vehicle while I'm here in New Orleans. One of the things that has needed fixing is my driver's side window. It needs a new motor. For the past year and a half, whenever I go through a drive-thru I have to open my door because my window won't go down. If you need a humbling experience try it some time! The last straw was when I got stopped in downtown New Orleans and the police officer pulled a gun on me b/c I opened my door instead of rolling down my window. Sorry, I digressed...

Back to eating crow. So, for a $130 I bought a new motor for my window. The cashier told me that if I brought back the old one, I could get $30 back. Today, I went to pick up the motor only to realize that I had lost the receipt! I'm fairly organized but I have a terrible habit of throwing things away. I don't like clutter. Luckily, they gave me the motor but they would only give me a gift card instead of $30 cash. I got pissed and told them no, if they weren't going to give me the cash I wanted my motor back. Boy, do I sound like my pre-school students or what? All I could think about was what in the hell would I do with a gift card to Auto Zone.

Now, I didn't curse at the lady or raise my voice but I was adament about taking my old motor and going home. I got in the car and my sister calmly asked me what I planned to do with a broken motor. I told her what the lady offered me and she reminded me that there was plenty to buy at the Auto Zone for $30. If anything, I could buy $30 worth of gum and soda.

I came home and scowered my bedroom, pants pockets, and my purse (which wasn't cluttered) but I was unable to find the receipt. So, it looks like tomorrow I will be eating some humble pie and asking for a gift card. I'm laughing about my behavior as I type this but I am really embarrassed about going back to the store.

No comments: