Family is Forever

Family is Forever

Thursday, October 23, 2008

Hmmm...

Why is it that I always feel like I have to be the best at everything? Why...Why... Why can't I be satisfied with the status quo? I have a good job that I actually love and I'm good at. I am thankful to have enough money to pay my bills but yet I feel like I need to do more. This is the first time in 10 years of teaching that I leave on time every afternoon without taking work home. Last fall, I applied to FSU's Educational Leadership program. This is an on-line program consisting of 8 classes that would allow me to go into administration upon completion of the program. I was supposed to take classes in the spring of 2008 but backed out. One, I don't know if I have what it takes to be somebody else's boss. Confrontations make me sick and I have a problem with wanting people to like me. So, I really didn't want to pay $1,000/class for something I may never use. I'm still paying on loans I took out for my teaching degree!

Anyway, I was asked to be apart of our district's leadership program. Its a two part process that is ideally intended for people who want to go into administration. My principal recommended me for part one last year. She kept encouraging me to go back to school. I am honored that she thought I had the capabilities to do so. This year, I'm taking level 2. I leave each meeting feeling pumped and wanting to take classes, but then once I get back into my everyday routine, I think about the added stress of taking classes. My new principal keeps putting me in these leadership positions as well. Again, I am thankful. I just hope that I do a good job.

So, I'm just not sure what to do. I love my life right now, but should I be thinking about the future and take these classes just in case?

3 comments:

Erika said...

Janie...just go with it. If someone else sees leadership qualities in you, then you've already demonstrated that you are capable of leading. So, just go with it. You'll be fine.

Alyssa said...

My hubby is taking his Ed Leadership classes through St Leo's. It is a lot of work, but he is getting through.

Just look at it this way--someday--you MAY get sick of teaching, being in the classroom, and this is a good thing to have when and if that time comes.

The school Herman is working for is paying his tuition for the classes, do you think the school would help you with tuition?

me said...

Janie, I think you'll come to a point in your career when you know you can do more and help more kids by being in a leadership position, and that will be your motivation. Maybe you'll never be a school based administrator, maybe you'll work for the district or be a consultant or trainer or... who knows? But now, while you're (barely) single and before you have kids, I think you should pursue every avenue you think you may be interested in so those doors are open to you when the time comes for you to jump through them!
love, Cara