Family is Forever

Family is Forever

Monday, May 07, 2007

Anti-depressants and Exercise



I love this picture! I call it, "Drunk Love." It was taken about a month ago. Thomas and I have both filled out since this was taken. Thomas more so than me, lol!

Don't worry, this isn't a feel-sorry-for-Janie entry. I'm just venting. Its therapeutic for me to write.

Today is the first time in a long time that I haven't been nauseated. NO, I'm not pregnant, just sinus crap, as usual. I love doctors, (that was meant in a sarcastic tone.) As most of my friends and family know, I deal with my sinuses year round. Every once in a while a doctor will find a remedy that works and I feel pretty good for a few months. Well, the last remedy wore off around February 28th and I've been sicker than a dog since then. I am NOT exagerating! (again, not complaining, just setting the stage...) What happens is I get a nasty post nasal drip combined with sinus pressure and I feel dizzy and sick. As a result, I don't sleep for days on end and anything that involves motion is out of the question (reading, watching t.v., extreme exercise). I avoid fruits, vegetables and dairy products at all costs, lest I projectile vomit. So, I get up and just deal with it. I know I sound like a hypochondriac and at this point I wish I was, but this is for real.

Anyway, I've been to the ENT, he said my sinuses look clear and to just keep my nasal passages moist. When I went to my primary care physician and told her my symptoms, she asked me if I was depressed and offered me anti-depressants, along with suggesting exercise! Its kind of humorous as I look back on that day, now. As most of you know I am extremely sensitive anyway, but on that particular visit, I hadn't slept in three days and on top of that I wanted to puke. And she has the nerve to ask me if I'm depressed. At which point, with tears in my eyes, voice choked up, I say, "This is the happiest I've ever been. My job is great, my family is close by..." All she could do was hand me a box of kleenex and a referal to an allergist.

So, I go to the allergist, hoping and praying that I'm allergic to something. (sick I know, but I'm desperate) After 16 injections and $20 later, I find out that I am allergic to NOTHING!!!! The doctor determines that I have excessive post nasal drip and if I'd exercise I'd sleep better. You know, I'm in the wrong damn profession! He did give me a prescription for a nasal spray that I take 4 times a day. Seems like a lot, but for the most part, I haven't been nauseated in a couple of days! The problem is, my nasal passages are dried out and my head still hurts. So, I called him back today to ask if he could prescribe something to go with the spray but he said my only other option is an anti-depressant because he thinks my headaches are tension-related! I'm really proud of myself because I didn't even cry. I just politely told him, "No Thanks." I'll just have to deal with the pain. I know there are people out there with worse conditions than me but there has got to be an answer to my issues. An answer other than antidepressants and freakin' exercise.

After talking with the allergist, I was even second-guessing myself. Maybe I need an anti-depressant. Afterall, both my doctors think so! Then I prayed, "Lord, if I am depressed and need meds, open my eyes and show me." It was the quickest answered prayer ever. He made me think back to when I was on medication. Yep, even back then I had sinus problems. Yep, even at 300 milligrams of Effexor! So, no, I am NOT depressed. I know what its like to feel depressed and believe me I am happy and full of life!

My next step, is wholistic medicine. If anybody can recommend anything, I'm all ears! I know there is an answer to my issues and I'm going to find it. In the meantime, I guess I should go exercise, lol!

No comments: