Family is Forever

Family is Forever

Monday, May 28, 2007

Quality NOT Quantity

Its funny how I've never noticed until recently just how consumed I've been with the quantity of things in my life: time spent with close friends and family, number of hours I sleep, how much great tasting food can I eat. (I'm sure that statement was grammatically incorrect but you catch my drift!)

I guess what first opened my eyes to all of this, literally and figuratively speaking, was during my time of sleep deprivation. Despite taking Roserum and then going to bed at 9pm, I would toss and turn for hours upon hours. Then, I finally broke down and went to a chiropractor. People kept telling me to give it a try for the headaches and nausea but I just didn't believe it would work. I've only been to the chiropractor twice but I am sleeping better, and my nausea and headaches aren't nearly as bad either. I'm holding my breath but praying that this will work. Anyway, my point, after my first visit with the chiropractor, I stayed up as late as could, didn't take the Roserum and fell asleep around 1:30am . I slept from 1:30- 6:30am. This was real deep sleep, no tossing, no turning, no fog the next day. Normally, this little bit of sleep would have not been enough for me, but I guess because it was quality sleep, I felt refreshed. So, I'm working on not being obsessed with the amount of sleep I get.

Time spent with friends... I went to a dear friend's wedding this weekend in West Virginia. I was nervous about going, worried that we'd have nothing to talk about since we live so far away now. To be honest, I worry about this alot, not just with her, but with other friends and family whom I don't see very often. Its funny though, because the weekend wasn't awkward. Her family makes me feel right at home and while she and I didn't spend every waking minute together, the time we did spend together was meaningful. I confided to another friend about my worries before leaving to go on the trip. I told her my fears about the possibility of us growing apart since we live so far away. This friend is always honest with me and she said there's always that possibility with any friendship because people get busy. She wasn't being negative, just stating the truth. I'm realizing more and more that I can't let this worry consume me. While I love my friend dearly, I can't mourn the fact that we don't see each other everyday. Instead, I need to enjoy the times that we do see each. This weekend was one of those times. (sorry, so much self-talk here) My favorite aunt lives in Orlando. We see each other maybe 2-3 times a year, but when we do, there's never a dull moment. Again, quality, not quantity.

I won't elaborate on the food issues. I'm still working on that one. Ha! Ha! Ha!
More self-talk!

Well, I leave for New Orleans on either Saturday or Sunday to go take care of my nephew for the summer. I'll come home for a week in July but most of time is going to be spent with him. I'm anxious. Not about taking care of Thomas, but just about leaving the comforts of my home and staying with someone else for two months. Pray for me. Pray that I can enjoy my time with him and not spend it mourning the fact that there's a possibilty he and his family won't move back to C'ville. Pray that my dog won't destroy their home (yep, she's going too!) Pray that we won't get blown away in a hurricane, lol!

I guess that's it. That's my new motto in life, quality NOT quantity.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Its so true that people just 'get busy'. I have a great friend from college, she was even one of my bridesmaids, that literally lives right down the street from me. We were so excited when I moved to West Palm b/c we would be able to 'hang out' all the time and such. Well, in 2 1/2 years, we've seen each other twice! Its not that we don't like each other anymore, its just that we have grown up lives now...not the college days when we conveniently skipped class together, or went out to eat after class. We have work, family, dare I say RESPONSIBILITIES now that take us in different directions. We cherish those times that are paths are able to collide...even if it is just twice in 2 1/2 years. Okay, now I feel the need to make a phone call!