Family is Forever

Family is Forever

Monday, February 05, 2007

What is Jenny Craig?

As I sit here enjoying my Jenny Craig cuisine I am reminded of an entry I've been wanting to write for a couple of weeks now. As you all know I HATE doctors. There are two types of people in this world who intimidate me, one group is lawyers and the other is doctors. While in my head I know that I am just as good as they are, in my heart there is this twinge of intimidation that I haven't worked through just yet. So, I muster up the courage to make an appointment for a physical. When I call, I specifically ask if I can get a physical and discuss my meds. "Why yes Miss Tucker, but you will have to wait until January 16th." "Not a problem," I say. So, on January 16th, heart pounding, palms sweaty, I gather my meds, vitamins included and go to my appointment. (I was sure to brush my teeth, wear my best drawers AND I shaved my legs!) After sitting for what seems like an eternity, I actually meet the doctor. She shakes my hand and says with a German/Swedish-I'm-not- from- America- accent (not trying to be racist just setting the stage), "What are we doing today?" So, I tell her. She huffs and says, "What?!! I can't give you a physical AND go over your meds in one visit. I have 7 other patients to see after your visit and they all have issues just like you do. I'd be here till 8:30pm tonight if I did all of what your asking." At this point I am taken back and start to get up and leave, but I figure I've paid my $15 and she's holding the prescription pad. I also decide that I do NOT need a physical from this brute of a woman. So we talk about my meds. She looks at my labs from October and asks me if I realized that I was borderline diabetic. WHAT?!! I mean I know I'm fat, I'm not stupid but when I called about my results they said everything looked normal. She tells me that if I lose weight I probably wouldn't get diabetes. You think? So, I tell her that I am trying to lose weight (the story of my life!) by going to Jenny Craig. She smirks and says, again in her German-Swedish accent, "What is this Jenny Craig?" So I tell her. She says, "I personally don't believe in diets. You should be able to do this by just eating sensibly. " Well, Hells Bells, if I'd of known that I wouldn't be fat, now would I? She then goes on to ask me how to spell Jenny Craig and what happens when I go off the diet? Yadda Yadda Yadda. Lord, the more I type this the angrier I get. So, I leave her office more determined to lose weight because of her third degree about Jenny. Can I just say, that I've researched weight loss plans. Hell, I've tried just about all of them. I read everything I can get my hands on. This plan works! Oh, sorry, I digressed. So the next day, I'm at work and tell my co-teacher about this doctor. About that time another teacher's daughter (who is 4!), walks in and here's me say Jenny Craig. She says, "Miss Janie, Jenny Craig, its what makes you lose weight." Now tell me, do you need a PhD for that?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love it!

I truly believe that we are born brillant and as we grow we become ignorant and arrogant.

What a b****..excuse me, I mean, unkindly doctor. What ever happened to "bed side manner?" There is such thing as a reality check and then there is rudeness! If she was a good doctor, she would of said, "ohh, I see we have alot to talk about, so we'll have to schedule lots of appointments!" I mean the bottom line is, doctors run a business, and she just lost yours.

Patyrish said...

Gotta say that I used to have the SAME intimidation you have with doctors. Had it for a LOOOONG time until I had Makily. Then the harsh reality of "they put their pants on one leg at a time" hit me right in the face....and FAST! They make mistakes just like you and me, problem is that THEIR MISTAKES COST LIVES! In my book it SUCKS to be THEM. The only thing that usually knocks the "tude" out of them is when they realize you KNOW what you are talking about. Even still some of them still have the same arrogance.
Having worked for a few doctors I have to say that it was the fault of the person whom made your appt. They should have blocked off your slot for a specific amount of time and it sounds like that wasnt done. IT WAS TOTALLY unprofessional of the doctor to say ANY of that to you about the other patients waiting. She was in the room with YOU and so all thoughts she be on you the patient she is with NOT the ones waiting in the lobby.
As for her comments on Jenny I am shocked! Most docs reccomend that, weight watchers or NS (which I am on). Now if you were doing ADkins or Southbeach I would understand (high cholesterol foods etc). ]
This woman sucks...don't go back there Janie!