Family is Forever

Family is Forever

Sunday, December 09, 2007

Field Trip

So after a month of planning, phone calls, faxes and begging, I finally got a field trip scheduled for my kiddos. We got free admission to the Jr. Museum and thanks to Holly, we got free Happy Meals from McDonalds. Even my kiddo with the g-tube got to enjoy some ice cream! Most of you know that I teach children with severe language impairments. Some are autistic, others have chromosome disorders and some, just don't have a diagnosis. We only have 7 students but there are some days its like having 21! Because of their special needs, I really believe they need community based instruction (a fancy term for field trips), more so than the average kid.

Anyway, a couple of teachers found out about our field trip and really got upset. This is my second year at Pre-K and I didn't know that field trips were taboo. Apparently, other teachers have tried to go on field trips and they were told no. I'm not sure why, but my guess is $ and safety issues. Since we only had to pay for gas and we had 9 adults to 7 children I guess thats why we got to go. The more I think about the whole situation the madder I get. As a teacher, instead of being jealous, I would think you would be happy for my class. My program is different. Nobody else in our school has kids with the needs like mine do. Let's face it, these kids aren't going to graduate with a regular diploma. Out of 7 students, 1 parent chaperoned. For some of these kids, I think this was the first time they ate a Happy Meal! My point is, let them enjoy what little opportunities they do get. It really saddens me that people who are so-called educators think like that.

I've got to go plan something for January. Let the others be jealous!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fantastic. I am glad you were able to make that happen for your kids. It is amazing how competetive teachers can be, isn't it? The only people who seem to be more competetive than teachers are moms! LOL!

Patyrish said...

Girl this post made me happy and mad at the same time.

Makily's school does SO MANY field trips. I go to ALL of them and I love it. The kids just LIGHT UP like Christmas trees. I have fallen in love with all the kids in Makily's class. I am a total push over for ANY kid with a special needs now...and I do believe the kids in Makily's class have figured that out too.

Lord help me!

I also want to say shame on whoever would complain about your class getting to go.

LOOK AT WHAT THEY ARE COMPLAINING ABOUT?!! It just sounds so irrational to me.

I am just disgusted that someone would complain about the special needs kids having an outing. They miss out on alot of things in life so GIVE THEM THEIR TRIP TO THE MUSEUM AND MCDONALDS.