Family is Forever

Family is Forever

Sunday, July 20, 2008

Hopes and Dreams

My friend Amber is reading a book called "The Last Lecture." Its written by a guy who is dying from cancer. In the book the guy writes short messages to his children about life. Amber says its really inspiring and everyone should read it. One of the lessons the author writes about is encouraging your children to share their dreams for the future while they are still children. Amber said it really hit home for her and that she doesn't remember having any dreams for the future as a young child. She said this is one thing she wants for her children.

Thinking back to my childhood I'm not really sure I had big plans for the future. I remember my parents telling me I could be anything I wanted to be as I long as I got an education. When I was four, I remember wanting to be a nurse, teacher and a country music singer. Obviously, I chose teaching. Which is a good thing because I get nauseated at the sight of blood and I can't follow a beat to save my life! You know, I'm grateful to my parents for instilling in me the value of an education. Neither one of my parents have college degrees. My daddy didn't even have a high school diploma. (Please don't misunderstand me. I believe my parents were wise and wonderful parents.) My point is that they both wanted better for me and my sister. (again, I feel the need to explain... my parents provided Molly and I with the best of everything. We were poor but didn't even know it. I just think my parents didn't have a chance to fulfill their dreams because they worked so hard for us.)

Perhaps I'm rambling, but I'm not so sure that having a college education is the key to happiness. I think its more important to have a plan and do what makes you happy. I was fortunate to know at an early age what I wanted to be. Some people don't always know what they want to be when they grow up.

Anyway, to sum up this entry, I guess what I'm getting at is this... its important to talk with kids about the future. Encourage and build them up so that when they do decide what they want to be/do they have the self-confidence to do so. For that I am eternally grateful to my mom and dad!

2 comments:

Patyrish said...

The book you are talking about...the man that wrote it I *believe* I saw him on Oprah and he did a lecture about life. It was AWESOME. I cried through a lot of it.

I think it's important to have hopes and dreams too J. Or some kind of a plan, something to work towards.

I wanted to be a rockette as a kid.......didnt happen but it was fun to dream!

Erika said...

Great post Janie. Sadly, the man who wrote this book just passed away today. I think that makes your post even more timely and important.

Geez...my hopes and dreams as a kid were ridiculous when I think back on them...but man did I have some fun pretending that I would achieve them. Who knows...I still might.