Family is Forever

Family is Forever

Monday, September 29, 2008

Confession Time

I have a problem... it starts with a "b" and ends with a "g." Can you guess what it is? Its called "Budgeting." (Please note: this isn't a feel-sorry-for-me entry. I'm blessed to have money to pay my bills and a little left over for spending.) You'd think after 10 years of teaching, 7 of which I've lived on my own, I'd be a little better at budgeting. The problem is I have a Budlight taste for things and I'm living on a Natural Lite budget. Call me a redneck. I know its supposed to be wine vs. beer but I thought my analogy was funnier.

This month I'm going to try something new. I listed all my bills and paid them up front on paper. Then I subtracted the leftover money and divided it by 4. That's going to be how much I have to spend for each week. My problem is I can't say "no." I'm a sucker for fundraisers. I love to shop and eat out.

This summer I worked really hard to pay off all but one of my credit cards and wouldn't you know it... I've racked one up again! Lord, I hope this budgeting thing works.

I figured if I wrote it all down then maybe it help me be a bit more accountable. Who knows???

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have faith in you. You will do great. When people ask you out to eat, invite them over and do potluck. That way, everyone saves money. Remember, everyone is going thru the same thing so don't be afraid to say, "I just don't have the money." I promise you that everyone can relate!! Life is about enjoying special moments with the special people in your life. It is NOT about eating out, shopping and showing people you love them with dust collecting objects and items.

Erika said...

The budgeting should totally help Janie. And...looks like your sister said it best...life is about enjoying special moments with people you love. I think my brother once said that the best Christmas gift I could give him would be if I would agree never to buy him a gift ever again and if he could do the same. Sounds pretty good to me. Makes things way easier!