Family is Forever

Family is Forever

Sunday, September 07, 2008

Sometimes...

reality bites!!!

(As my friend Wendi says, "I have to set the stage first" in order to get to the point of this entry...) As most people know, I teach kiddos with special needs. Most of my experience has involved teaching children with learning and/or emotional disabilities... autism included. This years group is different. Different meaning, I haven't really dealt with so many motor/physical needs before. Don't get me wrong, I am LOVING it. They are all so sweet and cuddly. Its exciting to see enthusiasm for learning for a change. These students range in ages from 2-5. I have one with Down's Syndrome, 3 with other various chromosome syndromes, two with Cerebral Palsy, one with Spina Bifida and one, that's well... just delayed.

Ok, now that I've set the stage, I can get into the point of my entry. AS an ESE teacher I've always felt its my responsibility to focus on the positive. We focus on what these kiddos CAN do rather than what they can't. We try to be cheerleaders for their parents and advocates for them. With all this said, my heart ached this past Tuesday for both Sam and his family. Sam is an adorable 2 and a half year old with CP. Cognitively, he really has it going on. He does have some expressive aphasia (trouble getting out what he wants to say. His main issues are physical. He can't sit up without support and he can't walk. His parents recently got him fitted for a wheelchair and Tuesday was his first day riding the bus, not to mention the fact that it was his first day riding the bus in a wheelchair! His mom called to let us know that he would be coming in on the bus and that it was a very traumatic experience for him. She was in tears as she told me that while she hated it for Sam, it was his reality. He is going to need a wheelchair. He isn't always going to be able be carried and for motor/physical support, he NEEDS the wheelchair.

That afternoon, as I put Sam on the bus, I felt my eyes well up with tears. I smiled and cheered for him and told him he was a brave, big boy but inside my heart was breaking. I know I'm rambling and I've said this before, but I'm saying it again... my heart goes out to parents and families of children with special needs. There reality is not our reality and sometimes it well... just plain bites!

2 comments:

Patyrish said...

Ugh this one got me.

Bless his sweet little heart.

I have often said that there are times I am UTTERLY thankful that Makily has NO IDEA that she is different. It would likely kill me if she ever was sad or emotionally hurt because of it.

Love you for having such a kind heart and for really seeing things from his point of view.

Amazing.

The Angel and Demon Within said...

I had started working on my masters in special ed. It didn't take me long to know that I just wouldn't be able to deal with the emotional issues that goes along with it. I have a lot of respect for those of you who can.