Family is Forever

Family is Forever

Saturday, January 26, 2008

Things To Do On a Friday Night When...

you're single, broke and in a funk: (before I get into that, as my friend Wendi would say, "let me set the stage.") So I had my interview for the District Teacher of the Year on Wednesday. My mom bought me a very nice suit and let's just say I looked fantastic. I went in with a big smile and felt like I really charmed them. I wasn't even nervous. I'm thankful for everyone who prayed for me and gave me support. I didn't win, but I sort of figured I wouldn't b/c I teach Pre-K ESE. Its sad though b/c for a while I actually thought I could win. I'm not trying to brag on myself, but I work with some fantastic people who make it easy to do my job and my administrators make me feel like I'm important. I love what I do so I'm enthusiastic about it. My poor principal told me that the she was really proud of me and that the assistant superintendant was impressed with my interview skills. BUT... she said its the Pre-k thing that's against me in competitions like that. I was really upset at first but when I think about moving to a different school just to be recognized for an award I laugh.

I need to be at Pre-K. It's my passion for now. I know that God sent me there for a reason and one day I'll figure out what that reason is. Right now I think its for Playground rennovations. the fire marshall came in and told us that our playground is a fire hazard and all of it needed to be removed! I could have saved him his time and told him that over the phone! So, I'm developing a committee to devise a plan to rennovate the playground. We're unofficially in phase one by having our Family Fun Day. Monies earned from that will go towards providing some new equipment. Phase Two will be the trickiest b/c that's when I'm going to need the big bucks. Anybody with ideas on how I should go about this would be wonderful. I sort of have a plan but ideas are always appreciated!

Oh yeah, anybody interested in buying some "donation" tickets let me know. For some reason I can't call them, "raffle" tickets. We've got some cool prizes.

So, back to the title of my entry. Things to do... after getting the word that I didn't win, I was in a funky mood. One part of me wanted to lay on the couch, watch t.v. and eat ice cream.

Of course, I have this other part of me who when the going gets tough the going wants to go shopping. But being as how I don't get paid until January 31st. I opted against that part.

Fortunately, I have this alter ego who told the lazy part of me to shake it off and do something positive. First I took my dog for a long walk. Which was no easy task because we kept seeing stray dogs and Missy refused to walk without first trying to get in their territory. Then I cleaned. I mean I cleaned. I even used the leaf blower! My drive way is very small but I bet I blew that sucker off for at least 20 minutes! I got the shop vac down and vacuumed out my poor car.

By that time I was feeling much better and I received an e-mail from Sara's husband who reminded me of the reason I do my job. (Thanks Geoff!) Its not for the awards. Its for the kids. Which leads me back to setting the stage. I have a purpose and that's all that matters!

So, I'm fine now and I have alot of work to do. Take Care! J

1 comment:

Patyrish said...

I agree girl, it's sad that Pre-K ESE teachers arent recognized like they should be. I KNOW A LOT of "regular teachers" that would NOT even think about doing the job you do. It takes a special person girl....seriously!

Keep up the good work with the weight loss. I am joining the YMCA on MOnday and getting my big butt in gear.