Family is Forever

Family is Forever

Sunday, April 13, 2008

41:38


So yesterday, I got up at the crack of dawn and ventured downtown to complete my first 5k. I know, for those of you athletic types this is no big deal but for someone who's idea of a good workout used to be shopping at both malls in one day, a 5k is monumental.

It was surreal really. (I'm stealing Jes' word!) Have you ever been in line to get on a scary ride at the fair? The whole time you're standing there thinking, "Ok, I can't do this, but I am." Or, how about you're on a family trip, driving through the middle of nowhere and you have one of those Pepto moments and there's not a bathroom in sight? That was me yesterday. I didn't have to go really I just felt like I was about to embark on something I couldn't do. Then I thought, "Janie, you teach pre-k children with special needs, you CAN do this!" So, the gun went off and I ran. I ended up only walking about a half a mile. My goal next time is to not walk at all. I figure I have to start somewhere.

I'm proud of myself for finishing. I'm also thankful for my friends and family who encouraged me through out the process. My next race is May 3rd at Epcot. Its for heart disease. I'm doing this race in honor/memory of my Grandma Tucker.

1 comment:

Patyrish said...

GIRL I AM SO PROUD OF YOU! I would have had the same nervous feeling too!

You really look awesome! WAY TO GO!