Family is Forever

Family is Forever

Thursday, April 03, 2008

Don't Laugh, I've Lost 37 pounds!

So, its too damn hot to run outside. I broke down and joined a gym. Monday I met with a trainer and she suggested I take some classes. I also scheduled to meet her on Friday to go over a personal weightlifting plan for me. I really need to tone and improve my running endurance.

I once had a student I will call "Bo." Bo was diagnosed Educably Mentally Handicapped, but he didn't know that. We all pushed him just as hard as the other kiddos, just at his own pace. He also had a vision problem and would run into things. None of that ever stopped Bo. Bo was enthusiastic about everything. Everytime you would see him, he would be grinning from ear to ear. He gave the best hugs, too. One winter his parents put him in soccer. He would run the opposite way but it didn't matter. He loved the game.

So, Monday I took a body sculpting class. Anyway, I saw a glimpse of Bo in myself this past Monday during class. At first I had to remind myself this was a new class. All I had to do was try. Once I got into it, I started grinning from ear to ear. The instructor must of thought I was nuts. Here I was offbeat and sweating like a pig exercising and all I could was smile big! As I worked out all I could think about was the weight I have lost thus far and just how much energy I have. At one point, I even rolled right off the exercise ball. I didn't cry or run out of the room. Nope, I laughed and got back on the damn thing. I guess I need a t-shirt that says, "Don't laugh, I've lost 37 pounds!"

As for my special students, people will often ask me how I can do what I do. Some people even ask me what the quality of life is for the kiddos I teach. Now granted, there are some kiddos whose quality of life will indeed suck because of choices their parents have or will make but for the most part, for kids like "Bo" the sky's the limit. If we all strive to set high expectations and meet them where they are, they will soar. Not only that, but they bring a ton of joy to everyone around them and great memories for later. I taught Bo over 4 years ago and he still holds a special place in my heart.

No comments: