Family is Forever

Family is Forever

Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Amendment One Sucks!

So, I've been hearing rumors all along about the possibility of the state doing away with the National Board incentives but today I found out that there's a possibility that all the mentoring we've been doing will not be compensated for either. I am pissed! I understand its a bonus and as a veteran teacher its my duty to be helping new teachers. However, there are two ways to mentor in our district. One is via the NBPTS program (that's me) which means I volunteer my 90 hours through out the school year and at the end of June I get a bonus. The other way is directly through the district which means those teachers get their money through out the year in their paychecks. Again, I'm not trying to sound greedy but I put a heck of alot of time into my job. Its bad enough that as a pre-k ESE teacher I'm not even recognized as a real teacher, but now the state wants to take away the tiny bonus I earn. You know the other pathetic thing about my job... I have 10 years experience teaching WITH a master's degree and without my National Board Incentive I make about $38,000 BEFORE the government takes my taxes!

While I'm on my soapbox, let me tell you where Florida is headed since this fu*&ing amendment has passed... have you ever been to New Orleans? There's potholes everywhere, people pay to have their kids in private schools because their schools suck to high heaven AND the poverty level is rediculous! Way to go folks... that's going to be us real soon! I guess I'd better apply for a second job!

No comments: