Family is Forever

Family is Forever

Sunday, February 24, 2008

The House on Marie Circle

As a kid, I hated our house on Marie Circle. I hated the yard because it was soooo big and I basically hated Crawfordville, because I felt like my family was ripped apart to come live here.

Now, when I go to visit my mom I think about the good memories that made in that house on Marie Circle. I'm thankful my mom didn't sell the house when she had the chance. That house is a symbol of my mother's determination and strength. She bought that house all by herself and made it a wonderful home for us to live in. As for the yard, its only a half an acre but if you look around now a days, a half an acre in a new subdivision is unheard of. I also appreciate the fact that my step-dad is the one who cuts the grass, trims the hedges and fixes things. As for Crawfordville, I'm thankful to live in a community where people know who I am. I love the variety of trees, living less than 45 minutes from the beach, and this crazy small town life.

I was thinking about life today and how mine has turned out while helping my mom with some yard work. Yes, Janie Tucker was doing yard work. I swear it must be the diet and B12 shots because otherwise, there is NO WAY I could have been raking and using a pitchfork to dump leaves into a wheelbarrow! It was definitely my good deed for the year!

Seriously, my mom is having a fence added to one side of the house for Thomas. She has plans to add a swing set, play house, and some other things that no little boy should live without. So she says...lol! So, I figured I should help. Anyway, during trip number 3 to the backyard burnpile, I looked around at the backyard. I had a flashback to when my dad moved to Crawfordville to live with us. He was in the backyard telling us about his dream to one day own a shop back there. The memory was bittersweet because while I'm sad that my daddy never had his own shop in the backyard, I'm happy that my step-dad does. I love going back there and smelling the mixture of grease and oil. I know, call me weird but it reminds me of my daddy. He was a mechanic.

All in all, I have to say, on a day as beautiful as this, I am happy to say I was out doing yardwork in Marie Circle.

1 comment:

Patyrish said...

Isnt it insane how certain smells can take you RIGHT back to a memory?

My mom used to wear "Goody" combs in her hair. She would take them out after work and smell them. Sounds weird but when I saw her doing it with tears in her eyes one day I asked her what was wrong. She said it reminded her of what her Dad smelled like (I guess it was his VITALIS).