Family is Forever

Family is Forever

Wednesday, February 06, 2008

My Car

I was driving home tonight and looked back for something. Not safe, I know but nevertheless, I did. Anyway, I had this great feeling of pride about my car. Its 10 years old and I pray to God that I don't jinx the quality of it after writing this entry. My car and I have had this sort of love-hate relationship over the years. In the end, when its all said and done, my car has stood by me. (I know I'm a sap, but what's new?)

After graduating from college, I bought a brand new Honda Civic. My payments were just a little over $300/month and because I was a recent college graduate I got a whopping 3.9% apr. Then, before I knew it, Honda came out with the CRV. I just had to have it. I was making like $25,000/ year, so money was no object, lol! So, less than a year after my Civic purchase, I called the dealer who sold it to me and told him to be looking out for one of those CRVs. Of course, he found one! For some reason back then they were hard to come by, so I ended up with a slightly used one with about 11,000 miles on it. I didn't care. It had all the bells and whistles, keyless entry, power windows, cruise control. That was July of 1999. My payments were like $429/month,which wasn't a big deal because I was living at home. Reality hit me in 2001, when I was living on my own with a car payment, rent, student loans and of course my lovely credit card payments. I tried to trade the car in for a cheaper one a couple of times but I was always upside down on my payments. Of course, its paid off now, but it was a LONG journey getting there.

Anyway, 185,000 miles later, my car is going strong. The poor things been through hell. I've hit a couple of drive-thru posts, mailboxes and trees. I've driven it as far west as Louisiana and as far north as West Virginia. My friends tease me about how it drives like a tank. You can feel EVERY bump and turn I make in it. My engine light has been on for 3 years, My brother-in-law replaced the motor in the driver side window panel. My step-dad has given it 2 or 3 tune-ups, not to mention how many brake pads he's replaced. I haven't used my keyless entry in like 2 years, b/c the key pad was stolen at a gym in West Palm.

All in all, I have to say, I LOVE my car. I love that my car insurance isn't sky high. I love that my car is paid for. I love the fact that if my nephew drops cookie crumbs in the seats its not going to harm it.

I was thinking the other day that when my car takes its last drive, I'm going to be devastated. I may have to return to therapy. I have so many great memories tied to my car. So, there you have it... Ode to my Honda CRV.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Found you by blog jumping tonight! Love this post! I am a Honda faithful! My civic is 8 years old with almost 110,000 miles and (knock on wood real hard) other than tune-ups, oil changes and tire and brake repair hasn't had any problems at all. It has been the most reliable car ever! Knocking on wood that your ode to a Honda CRV doesn't change it's luck! :D

Patyrish said...

I LOVE NO CAR PAYMENTS. I say drive it until it just won't go anymore girl. Get your money's worth.