Family is Forever

Family is Forever

Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Ramblings of a Weightloss Diva

You know, I should have gone to school to be a doctor. If they didn't get sued all the time and deal in blood and guts I probably would have. I had to have some lab work done last Friday to check my Thyroid and Cholesterol levels. Am I old or what? The nurse calls me yesterday to tell me that the doctor needs to see me right away because my Thyroid levels were too high which means instead of being hypothyroid, I'm now hyperthyroid. While being "hypo" isn't all that grand, I'm used to that one. Its the one that contributes to making me feel tired and fat all the time. Personally, the "hyper" one is the scary one for me because of the crazy side effects that can happen. Neither is good, but I like to stick with what I know, being "hypo!"

Anyway, I try to explain over the phone what I think the problem is. My labs came back showing that my thyroid levels were too low in December so my doctor upped my Synthroid. In the meantime, I've lost 26 pounds and so maybe I need a lower dose of Synthroid. The nurse says, "Well, you still need to come in." So, I left school today around 9:30am to go to the doctor. I basically paid her $15 to TELL HER what the problem was and she wrote me a perscription for a lower dose of Synthroid!

Before I left the doctor of course wanted to know how I'd managed to lose 26 pounds in 2 months. So I explained the plan to her and told her about the supplements. She explained to me that she would NEVER perscribe supplements because she's found that most of the time people who take supplements just gain the weight back once they quit taking them. My doctor is about 100 pounds soaking wet so you can imagine how perturbed I was to have to defend myself about this diet. Nevertheless, I did. I said to her, "I have been fat all of my life. You name a diet, I've been on it. This diet has taught me portion control, how to eat healthy and basically helped me quit craving carbs. I am determined more than ever NOT to gain this weight back!"

She's not the only person who has mentioned this to me and I'm kind of sick of people telling me about statistics related to supplements. I'm not a dumbass! I know what I have to do to keep this weight off.

There are times when I get emotional about my weightloss journey. Maybe I shouldn't be so shallow but its been a struggle. There have been times when it has affected my self-esteem. When I was in college I lost about 60 pounds thanks to good ole phen phen. For the first time ever, I looked hot. I felt sexy and confident. Then, second semester my first year of teaching, I got a terrible case of hives that even Benadryl couldn't cure. I went to every allergist from here to South Carolina seeking answers. All they could attribute it to was my Thyroid antibodies attacking good cells. And worst of all, all the doctors could perscribe me were strong antihistimines and HIGH doses of steroids. Little did I know back then the effects of antihistimines and steroids. I wasn't as quick to research side effects like I do now. Besides that I was so miserable all I wanted was relief. I am proof of the evils of steroids. All I wanted to do was eat. I would wake from a dead sleep, eat pb & j sandwiches and wash it down with Sunkist! So, that summer of 1999 I went from a size 12 to a size 20! Of course the antihistimines just made me want to sleep, so exercise was out of the question. Not sure where I'm going with this point, but just to explain my sensitivity. From 2000-2007, I have probably spent over $10,000 on weight loss plans. I would lose 10-15 pounds but nothing really kept me motivated. This is the first time in eight years that I feel like I have a plan and that I can do something about my weight.

Oh yeah, so my cholesterol levels decreased a tremendous amount! I'm so thankful. Its funny, because now adays, its not so much about looking "good." I know I look good size 20 or smaller. Now, its about living to see 40 and higher. Both sides of my family have a history of high blood pressure, diabetes and heart disease. Bottom line, I don't want any of that. So, I have to do all that's in my power to take care of myself. Well, its late and I should really go walk my dog. Good Night!

p.s. I tried on some size 16s and they were loose!

1 comment:

Patyrish said...

Don't you love it when you ARE loosing weight and someone has to find SOME WAY to be negative about it. DRIVES ME BONKERS! Stick with what you are doing, it's working and I AM PROUD OF YOU!