Family is Forever

Family is Forever

Friday, August 15, 2008

A Letter to Me...

I think Brad Paisley also has a song called 'Letter to Me,' but the other day my sister wrote a blog entitled 'Letter to Me at 16.' Her letter inspired me to write one to myself. I know, I need to start writing my own stuff, lol!

They say hindsight is 20/20. Besides that, if we could all go back and change things how would we learn? How could we be the strong, vivacious people we are today? Here's my letter to me at 16...

Dear Janie,
You are 16 years old. I wish I could tell you that your life will be all roses and bunnies but unfortunately I can't. What I can tell you is this: you are a strong woman that will be able to overcome those curve balls life throws at you.

Janie, stop taking things so seriously. It will not matter 10 years from now what your GPA is. Enjoy your time in high school. When your friends call you to spontaneously go out, do it!

That boy you are so in love with... he's not for you. Trust me, there's someone much better for you. Its just going to be a while before you meet him. He is so worth the wait.

Listen to your Grandma Tucker. She may repeat her stories over and over again, but listen to her. Visit her as often as you can. There's going to come a time when she is really sick and she's not going to be herself. Its going to hurt you like crazy but be there for her and Aunt Barbara. YOu'll regret it later if you don't.

Spend as much time with your mom and sister as you can. I know you guys don't share the same housekeeping views and that can often piss you off but there's going to come a time when you will all move out on your own and the house will be empty. You will miss them.

As for mom. She loves you more than you'll ever know. Humor her when she worries excessively and respect her wishes. Just don't take her so seriously that you can't make your own decisions.

Finally, STAY OUT OF THE DAMN TANNING BEDS!!!! Stop worrying about your legs being so white. You think you're white now, just wait until you're 32 and you have your dermatologist on speed-dial!

There's so much more I'd like to tell you but you've got to learn on your own. Perhaps I'll write you again in 16 more year!

Love,
J

1 comment:

Patyrish said...

Oh girl this is a great idea. There have been many times I have wished I could "write a letter to myself" when Makily was born. I wish there was a way I could have told myself that as horrible as it was, that WE would all be okay. I would live and Makily would be a happy kid.