Family is Forever

Family is Forever

Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Healthy vs. Hippy

Ok, so I hope I don't offend anyone by the title of my entry. My sister is on this health food kick which has inspired us all to look more carefully at labels. We want Thomas to make good choices and hopefully not have the obesity issues we've had. Besides that, we are learning so much about the evils of processed foods and how they can contribute to other health-related problems (i.e. allergies, diabetes, heart disease.)

Molly has really been doing some research. So much so, that she and my mom are contemplating buying a goat so Thomas can have unpasturized goat milk! Yesterday she called me and asked me if I'd go to Lake Ella today because they were having local vendors come and sell their homegrown produce and baked goods. I'm not a tree hugger or anything but the more I learn about pesticides and perservatives, the less I like to buy produce from places that aren't within a 200 mile radius of where I live. So, I was all excited about getting some fresh fruits and veggies while helping small businesses.

I should know by now that my sister exagerates. I love her dearly but I keep forgetting that her major in college was Political Science as well as how many years she was in sales as a banker. So, we arrive at the lake. We put Thomas in his stroller and head off to find this grandeous produce. After warding off tons of nasty ducks and geese, we find the vendors. There were maybe 6 tables set up. Nobody had fruit and the plants/veggies they were selling looked pitiful. Not to mention EXPENSIVE! Molly bought lettuce, green onions and asparagus for $8.00!!!!!
Next, Molly takes me to this vendor who sells food that is not "cooked" and void of any meat. The lady is kind enough to let us sample her wares. Molly goes first and tries this red crispy looking thing and says, "MMMM, Janie, you have to try this." I actually believed her and took a bite. OMG!!!! I could have licked someone's armpit and gotten the same effect. This lady is also known for her "healthy tea." So, Molly paid $10.00 for a mason jar of this stuff I swear I put in the coolant system of my car. The man selling the tea explains to Molly that he will "loan" her the mason jar and she can return it the next time she comes or give it to someone else. It doesn't matter, he says, as long as she reuses it.

The whole situation is quite comical. After we left, I swear I needed an IV full of Diet Coke. I will continue to respect my sister when it comes to Thomas and his eating habits. I myself am also trying to get healthy, BUT I am NOT ready for special teas and armpit cakes.

2 comments:

Patyrish said...

I busted out laughing at the "armpit cake". How the heck did you react? Were you kind and said "oh that's nice" or did you make the "puke face" in front of the weird lady! LOLOLOLOL

Yeah some health foods are super yummy but I have tried some things that have made me "run for the border" and I mean that in more ways than one!

Kinda weirded out about the goat though, are you gonna milk it yourself! ROFLMAO!

That Hank said...

You want good produce, go to the flea market some weekend. Some of it is trucked in, but some of it is local. Cheap, too. Plus, you can buy a black velvet pitbull, a pair of oversized sunglasses, a second hand wedding dress, and a crossbow at the same time.