Family is Forever

Family is Forever

Monday, March 17, 2008

Wanted!



As an ESE teacher, I really hate defensive parents. Especially parents who are also teachers. I'm not a parent but today, I became a defensive aunt.

My nephew Thomas went to FSU today to have his 12 month evaluation. Molly took him at 7 months to have him evaluated for delays and he turned out to be above average in all areas so they asked if they could continue watching him. He's a lab rat. Just kidding! He scored above average in pretty much everything except dramatic play and self-help skills. He scored on the low end of average in those two areas. I personally feel that is a load of crap. Just the other night we were at a restaurant and the waitress loaned Thomas two army men. (I know, Heather, ITERS folks would so die!) Anyway, he had one in each hand and had them talking to each other while walking back and forth on the table. As for self-help skills, he can use a fork and spoon when we give him one. He just prefers his fingers. Am I defensive or what??? At one point, he told the examiner, "Let me down!" She had him in a high chair while testing him. He's a hoot! The examiner told Molly that she was going to have to keep Thomas very busy when he's older or teachers are going to label him ADD. They better not! Boy are his teachers in trouble. His mom is going to be so far up their asses they won't know what to do. His nana is going to have a hit man ready and his Aunt J will waiting at a moments notice to get whomever says something bad.

He called Gene, "Poppa," the other day. It was bittersweet. I'm glad Gene is good to him and that Thomas can say Poppa, but its also sad because I keep thinking he should be calling my daddy, "Poppa." Oh well! We'll just have to tell him all about his real Poppa and how similar they are.

I love this picture. It was taken this Saturday. The sad thing is, he looks so grown up.

1 comment:

Patyrish said...

Aww J, you are such a good Aunt. Thomas is so blessed to have a family so full of love for him.

((hugs)) on the Poppa "thing" I know that must be so bittersweet.