Family is Forever

Family is Forever

Monday, March 10, 2008

Just Thinkin'...


My mom's oldest brother died this past week. They had his funeral this past Sunday in Milton. So, my mom and I drove over to Milton early Sunday morning for the service. Now, funerals aren't my specialty. In fact, I think the last time I went to one it was in 2002 or 2003. As a Christian I guess a funeral shouldn't really be a sad thing but I guess its the saying "bye" that sucks. I've never been really good at that part, so I try to avoid funerals at all costs. However, in this situation, I felt like I should go for my mom's sake.

Can you believe I forgot my damn kleenex? Me, the snot queen, left her kleenex in the car! I haven't been snotty lately thanks to my new diet and regulated hormones (that Yaz is good stuff!)so I guess I figured I'd be fine. Not to sound too insensitive but I didn't really know my Uncle Charles all that well so I figured I'd be ok without the kleenex. WRONG! Each one of his children got up and said something nice about him. My Uncle Ron made a very endearing speech too. The next thing I know, I'm crying my eyeballs out and snot is pouring down my nose. There was no hiding it. I had to discretely leave the graveside service to get kleenex from my car. There's no being discrete when one parks her in FRONT of the where the service is being held! Fortunately it was a few hundred feet away so no one could hear me blowing my nose! I was so afraid my mom was going to have a stroke right then and there thinking that I was leaving her there alone. Fortunately, she knows her overly emotional daugher and knew what I was doing!

I guess what got to me was the speech my Uncle Ron gave about how time here on earth is so short and we need to make the most of it by honoring our parents and spending time with them. His words are so true. I used to get so aggravated traveling with my mom. I'm usually the one who drives. She'll be snoring like a freight train and then all of a sudden, jump and yell, "watch it, Janie!" Talk about making a driver piss their pants! There would have been no reason whatsoever for her to yell this but her reflexes cause her to react. I'm getting better at laughing it off but there are times when I want to stop the car and get out. Sorry, I digressed. Anyway, my point, my mom has her ways, but she's my mom. She devoted her whole life to us. I owe her. I also respect and love her very much.

1 comment:

Patyrish said...

Girl I went to a funeral a month or so ago. It also was for a family member I wasnt terribly close to. I TOO was not worried that I would be a blubbering idiot but...I was. Had no tissues. Wiped snot all over my jacket....lovely.

I have a very similar "mom" car experience and I tell ya IT WILL make you want to jump our of your pants. Screaming while I am driving isnt a smart thing (although many have been known to do it OLOLOL)