Family is Forever

Family is Forever

Saturday, March 15, 2008

Rethinking

Ok,so remember my big plans to do a triathlon? Well, that may take a while. My friend Julie reminded me that "tri" means 3 and you do ALL three back to back. I knew that before she told me but I didn't really process how I'd feel doing all three back to back until this morning.

Yesterday I decided to see just how far I could go doing a 20 minute run. I was bummed to discover that it took me like 17 minutes to do one mile. So, this morning I met Jessica in her neighborhood and ran with her for 30 minutes. This time I made a mile in about 13 minutes. Much better but I still need some work.

I have flashbacks from middle school p.e. The ones where I'm the last kid coming in from doing the timed mile. The p.e. coach is so disgusted that he's already put the clipboard away! I remember being mortified in 6th grade to even attempt running for fear of fat jiggling and kids laughing. By 8th grade, I was feeling a whole lot more confident but I walked because I didn't like to sweat. It was also fun to piss the p.e. coach off!

My cousin has a t-shirt business. She's making me a t-shirt that says, "5k Virgin." That way, if I am the last one, people will understand why. I don't care to win. Its just the rush of knowing I've accomplished something that I've sucked at for so many years.

Oh yeah, back to this morning. I guess I ran faster because I was with Jessica. I'm not really sore tonight but I was really beat shortly after the run. So, I'm thinking I've got to do a whole lot more work before I can go attempting some triathlons!

1 comment:

Patyrish said...

That shirt sounds great! I am trying to work myself up to five miles because we are going for a FIVE MILE HIKE in TN when we go on vacation. (It's a hike in the woods to a BEAUTIFUL waterfall).

We'll see what happens! I think I am faaar away from a triathalon myself though!